- Interim & consultancy
- Career advice
- Client portal
- About us
- Contact us
Contract Management Specialist
Join an integral part of the UK's Defence and play your part in the procurement and in-service support of all our armed forces' equipment, from fighter jets, armoured vehicles, submarines and aircraft carriers, to clothing, food and ammunition.
Join an integral part of the UK's Defence and play your part in the procurement and in-service support of all our armed forces' equipment, from fighter jets, armoured vehicles, submarines and aircraft carriers, to clothing, food and ammunition. If you have the pride, passion and commitment to be part of an exciting organisation at the forefront of supporting our country's armed forces to deliver on operations at home and abroad, then apply online now!
If you are interested in playing your part in managing key contracts for Air, Sea, Land or Strategic Enabling Projects then this opportunity is for you!
This is an excellent way to begin or continue your career in the Civil Service. There are a large number and a variety of roles available within both DE&S and SDA working on projects in support of the British Armed Forces supporting them in everything from disaster relief and reconstruction to peacekeeping and humanitarian aid projects. You will be part of the Commercial Function of around 1000 people who provide independent professional judgement on commercial and procurement business specialising in contract management; management of commercial risk; and compliance with legislation, including public procurement regulations. You could have a delegation of up to £2.5M with responsibility for specific equipment contracts or supporting senior colleagues in managing more complex requirements.
Whilst you will already be skilled as a Contract Management Specialist, the career path within the Commercial Function will enable you to develop the full range of commercial skills used in the organisation. With the support of a dedicated Functional Development Officer; an experienced commercial mentor and a large network of experienced peers and colleagues you will be actively encouraged to test and develop new skills in a variety of roles and projects. In addition to full induction and on the job training we actively encourage ongoing career development including professional qualification. We provide an array of training and other development opportunities to help our employees develop their skills and experience for a great career supporting the Armed Forces.
We also promote and support a range of flexible working patterns enabling colleagues to balance home and work responsibilities.
Responsibilities of a Contract Management Specialist in DE&S/SDA may include:
- Placing and managing contracts and contract amendments up to a maximum delegation of £2.5M in accordance with the Ministry of Defence policy.
- Conduct supplier performance management, including supporting improving sustainability and social responsibility.
- Conducting assurance and due diligence of commercial activity within own area of responsibility in order to provide confidence in commercial outcomes.
- Contributing to wider Commercial Function and business improvement activities.
- Communicating in a timely manner with a range of internal and external stakeholders including Senior Leadership, suppliers and Subject Matter Experts from other specialisms.
- Requirement to manage, coach and develop Assistant Commercial Officers and Commercial Assistants.
Please note that some of the positions available will be reserved for UK Nationals only and some successful applicants may need to be able to pass Developed Vetting clearance.
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
- Experience in effective contract management to ensure delivery of requirements including arranging required contract amendments
- Experience in communicating with internal and external stakeholders
- Experience in maintaining performance metrics and taking remedial action where appropriate
It will also benefit your application if you are able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
- Familiarity with Risk management practices
- Experience with people management and development skills
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
- Contract Management
- Communicating and influencing
- Making effective decisions
What's in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market-leading employer pension contributions of between 26.6% and 30.3% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.