- Interim & consultancy
- Career advice
- About us
- Contact us
The Commercial Manager supports the Senior Commercial Manager within a specified directorate to deliver pre and post contract processes for high value contracts.
The Commercial Manager supports the Senior Commercial Manager within a specified directorate to deliver pre and post contract processes for high value contracts. The Commercial Manager must act as a commercial business partner and be considered an expert and trusted advisor.
Scope of role Primary scope of this role would be:
* Support delivery of cost management services within a specified business directorate, providing commercial support and advice to the business including appraisal of options, feasibility studies, cost planning, procurement support, cost management, change management, and cost appraisals throughout the contract/project lifecycle
* Operate within a defined framework of commercial/cost management, control, and audit in line with procurement best practices and techniques
* Work closely with commercial Project Managers to provide pre-contract capabilities, including support on contract strategy, contract creation, pre-contract assurance and agreement, and contract drafting and paperwork; utilise contract management Centre of Excellence to guide best practices and provide expertise as required
* Align commercial management activity with quality management and other audits undertaken, liaising with appropriate stakeholders to drive efficiency and ensure audit activity reflects contractual pricing, terms, conditions, and service delivery specification
* Develop and implement standardised audit/site visit procedures, undertake targeted ad hoc audits, and support auditors on site visits, using expertise to drive value-add activities
* Ensure all commercial and cost activity is recorded using agreed processes, and that it is incorporated into the costs and budgets
* Work with Project Managers and contractors to support setting of target costs/fixed prices as appropriate for the contract form * Work with Project Managers, Contract and Supplier Managers, Contract Owners, and contractors to identify business process/project/contract risks and implement appropriate mitigating actions
* Provide Project Managers with commercial guidance and advice, including managing contract difficulties/cost variance, inadequate contract performance, and emerging issues, minimising commercial impact to Southern Water
* Drive contractual and commercial dispute resolution with suppliers/contractors, escalating to the Senior Commercial Manager where required
* Actively seek opportunities for continuous improvement, adopting improvements in ways of working to maximise value-add from commercial activities
* Translate innovation and continuous improvement ideas into comprehensive proposals and solutions
* Deliver robust commercial governance and cost control, ensuring cost and process compliance across portfolio of projects/contracts
* Monitor operational performance and delivery of benefits, addressing and risks and identifying mitigating actions, and report to Senior Commercial Manager,
* Deliver agreed annual savings and efficiency targets as set by Senior Commercial Manager
Major accountabilities of role:
1. Support the delivery of the commercial management strategies, through provision of pre and post contract capabilities in line with commercial and cost management best practice frameworks 30%
2. Oversee delivery of site visits and audit activity, liaising with the business and reviewing results and outcomes of audits 20%
3. Provide cost management support to the business, ensuring accurate and timely reporting of costs and budgets 20%
4. Identify and address commercial risks and contract difficulties, supporting on dispute resolution where required 10%
5. Drive a continuous improvement mentality in commercial management, actively seeking and adopting process improvements 10%
6. Ensure compliance with commercial governance and cost control across projects/contracts and report on operational performance and delivery of benefits 10%
Experience and capability requirements:
* Bachelor's degree in Quantity Surveying or a similar discipline
* Solid commercial management experience, preferably in a water or utilities industry
* Professional qualification and full membership is desirable (e.g. MRICS,CIPS,MCIOB), or the candidate should have a plan in place to achieve full membership.
* Microsoft Office suite including advanced MS Excel and PowerPoint
* Significant experience of cost management and/or quantity surveying for large projects or framework arrangements
* Significant experience in managing NEC standard forms of contract
* Experience of supplier/contractor relationship management
* Experience of risk identification and management
* Knowledge of contract forms (NEC3, I Chem E and ICE) and experience of managing contract drafting
* Experience and knowledge of contract terms and conditions, project lifecycles and commercial models
Barclay Meade acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and employment business for the supply of temporary workers and is part of Gattaca Plc.
Gattaca Plc provides support services to Barclay Meade and may assist with processing your application.
You can not apply for this job as its status is Closed.