- Interim & consultancy
- Career advice
- Client portal
- About us
- Contact us
Cover letters are often underestimated. This is your chance to show your motivation behind applying for a job; it’s your chance to get across why you’re an ideal fit for the role. A cover letter allows you to expand on your CV and go a little more in-depth on your skills and career background.
It also gives you a chance to demonstrate your understanding of the employing organisation and how you relate to its values, ethos and aspirations. A well-written cover letter can be particularly effective for speculative applications outside a recruitment cycle.
Top tips for a cracking covering letter:
- Ensure you write to the correct person with the correct spelling of their name
- Make sure your own contact details are clearly and correctly written
- Try to be original and avoid overused statements such as ‘I have excellent interpersonal skills’
- If incorporating some industry buzzwords, do not overdo jargon which can be off-putting
- Use strong, positive language, i.e. ‘I am confident that…’ rather than ‘I feel/believe that…’
- Keep your letter relevant by tailoring it to the individual job role
- Do not ramble, keep paragraphs short or use bullet points
- Check and then recheck your spelling, grammar and punctuation
If you’d like any help with an application for a job advertised on our website, please call us on +44 (0) 1489 873400.